Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday, A day of rest?

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, right? I guess that phrase doesn't quite apply when you have 2 kids. We have afternoon church that starts at 1:00 pm and you would think that we could get there on-time, but the last few weeks have been a struggle. Today I was determined to get there on-time. So, I packed all the diaper bags (1 for each child), got out the sippy cups, snacks, toys, etc. and got those all ready to go. Then I put Kaylin down for a nap at 11:15 am so that she would have a nice hour and a half nap. The problem with napping before church is that Kaylin sweats while she sleeps so we can't dress her or fix her hair before nap time or else she's all wet and clammy, so we have to do it after her nap. See the problem? So I wake Kaylin up at about 12:35 pm and had Phil get her dressed. It takes at least 10 minutes because she is all whinny and groggy. Then Phil feeds her a light lunch. Meanwhile, I get Zachary up from his nap and change him into his cute "show and tell church outfit" which can't be worn until just before church in case he needs decides to poop/spit up all over it. Then Zachary decides, "Hey I'm awake, where's the milk?" Since I'm such an obliging mom, I feed him. By this time it's 12:50. I figure, "give him a quick little snack to tide him over and then hurry in the car." By the time kids were in the car, diaper bags, Phil's briefcase and us, it read 1:00 pm on the dashboard. I guess I shouldn't complain because church is only 5 minutes away, but then once you get there, you have to unload everyone.


So we get into church and this family keeps on stealing our row. I know, I know, there are no labels or assigned seating at church, but it sure makes it easier to have a specific row, especially when you are running late. You don't have to stand in the back and scan the rows for an unlucky family who has to be stuck with you and your kids. And while I'm at it, what's up with everyone sitting at the end of the row. It's so aggravating when you are trying to scoot in a row and you have to jump over this lady that will never have to get up in the middle of the meeting. Meanwhile, you have to jump and trip over her the 4 or 5 times you have to go out because Baby's fussing or Kaylin has to go potty. OK, back to my original train of thought...so we are in sacrament meeting and get settled down for about 5 minutes. Zachary starts crying during the sacrament, so I get out of the row (tripping over the lady in the process) and join the other 3 foyer-families. I get to take the sacrament while Zachary is crying and then whisk him off to the mothers lounge, where I caught about 10 minutes of the meeting. Phil knocks on the door and gives Kaylin to me because she's "being naughty" and goes back into the meeting to enjoy the peace while I have two kids in the mother's lounge. Finally I got Zachary to sleep and made it back just in time for the closing hymn.


I won't bore you with the going in and out through Sunday school and Relief Society, but suffice it to say, today has not been the greatest day of rest ever. Maybe next Sunday will be better. Wish me luck!

This is Zachary today in his cute church outfit..thanks to Pick for the shirt. Phil just told me that he looks like a giant plaid marshmallow, but I think he's adorable! Doesn't he look like a Gollaher?

GO BYU! (Thanks Ann-Marie for this outfit...the clothes you gave me are a life-saver. Let me know if you want any cute dresses and I'll send them your way!)

3 comments:

Marlies said...

The best part is when you have a day like that and you go to relief society and the lesson has to include how can we all be on time to church so that we can enjoy all of the blessings of church. That one was hard for me to swallow when Braxton was little. I wish you luck. I can see it only gets harder.

Rebecca said...

Didn't anybody ever tell you that the Sabbath day is a day of rest from wordly things...not of rest from being a wife or mom. ha ha! Being a mom is an eternal calling that's what helps me get through each Sunday. I do have to say it's hard not being able to participate in the lessons all the time. Oh well someday again! We will be blessed for sticking through these tough days when our kids are young...I just know it.

Jaime Runyan said...

I'm dying with laughter! It's SO true! We have 9am church, and Jake was called to be the executive secretary right about the time Dekker was born- so he's at meetings before church. Which means I have to get both boys up and ready (along with myself) by myself. Jake and I always talk about how hard it is to get anything out of sacrament meeting anymore.