Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Kaylin health update


Many have asked how Kaylin is doing and what we have found out since her colonoscopy, so I will give you all an update. About 2 weeks ago, we visited the head of Pediatric Gastroenterology at one of the Stanford University children's hospitals. Our GI doctor had referred us there to get a second opinion and also some other medical treatment options. Here's what we know so far:


  • Nothing...We are no where closer to a diagnosis than we were a year ago. But, that being said, we did discover that she has inflammation throughout her colon and some in her ileum (the last little part of your small intestine). Normally, that would indicate that she has Crohn's Disease, but since she is so young, they are not thinking that it is Crohns (the doctor called it backsplash ileitis). It still could be allergy related (she's already allergic to milk and egg whites), an immunology issue (immune system problem), it could be bacterial, and the list goes on. We have done several tests and I'm sure we'll do many more in her lifetime.

  • The doctor at Stanford gave us some promising treatment options. Right now she's on an antibiotic called vancomyacin (which is $1500 for a two week supply! Thank goodness for insurance) which may or may not work. She also is taking probiotics (which are under a lot of research right now because they can be very beneficial for the gut) and we also order PREbiotics called Healthy Track which work with the PRObiotics to restore those beneficial bacteria in the gut. We will try this and see if it works. The website (I added the link) has a lot of different amazing natural products and comes very highly recommended by her doctor. Because Healthy Track is a natural soluble fiber, I'm going to just put the whole family, including Zachary, on it.

After the appointment in Stanford, Phil and I left feeling optimistic and hopeful that there are more available options for treatment. We also feel like this is a journey, not a very fun one, but a journey nonetheless. On this journey, there will be highs and lows, but I feel like if we stay positive and pray more fervently, we will find a medicine that works for her. Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts for Kaylin. We do feel so much love and support.


7 comments:

Headle said...

Little Kaylin is very lucky to have such amazing parents who LOVE her so much and do so much to help her!!

You are both SO supportive and wonderful!!! I admire your optimism despite a very difficult challenge. You are awesome examples to all who know you!!! :)

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that you feel hopeful and having some comfort in these treatments that could potentially work for Kaylin. What a sweet girl she is. What valient parents she has. I know you will be blessed for your faithfulness!

Tiffany said...

i have to tell you for christine's sake... she looks nothing like that. she had been crying just before that picture, so she looks awful! haha. i feel bad that i posted it! go to her blog at www.http://christinejb.blogspot.com/ to see her for reals. she's gorgeous! haha. i just had to tell you cause i knew she'd be horrified if i didn't! haha.

Marlies said...

I am so glad to hear that you have some hope and I am even more glad to hear the you are putting your faith where it needs to be. I am so glad to have so many reminders of faith in this day and age. Thanks for being great examples. I love you guys!

Davis Smith said...

Rebecca, you are one of the most faithful and strongest people I know. I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. But you are amazing and you're dealing with it so well. You're such a great example. I love you tons!

Tiffany said...

what a difficult thing! i wonder if my sister heather could have any advice... she's really knowledgeable about herbs, natural products, etc... you could drop her an email or visit her blog. her link is on mine... email is hbeckstrand@gmail.com

Kika VilaNova said...

Bekinha,
eu falei com Ana Marcia sobre o email de Karina e olha o que ela me escreveu:
"Eis o e-mail dela: karina_agra@hotmail.com
Diz prá Becca escrever pq é mais fácil ela responder já q ela quase não senta no computador, só qdo precisa fazer um trabalho acadêmico ... e agora ela está várias horas nos hospitais, o curso tornou-se bem prático. De qualquer forma encaminhei o seu recado prá ela ok"

Entao podes emailar Karinon viu?

beijaumsaum!!