So last Monday I was hanging this cute picture frame with all three of the kids in the bath (see below) and my neighbor Jeri commented at how shabby my cabinets looked. I agreed so off to home depot we went. In case anyone is interested, this is what I did...
I got TSP (trisodium phosphate) which is a heavy duty cleaner. I used a high concentration (like 1/2 cup of powder to a gallon of water) and used a green scrubber (like the ones on the back of the yellow sponges) and scrubbed the cabinets. TSP takes off some of the finish and the sheen from the cabinets. Then the next morning, Tuesday, I started the staining. I used "Polyshades," a polyurethene and stain in one, in an Antique Walnut Satin finish. I used a foam brush (genius idea from Jeri) so that there were no brush marks. I did 3 coats to get the desired darkness and voila! A finished bathroom. We are going to eventually do knobs and handles but after yesterday's fiasco (see post about downstairs bathroom), we might need to wait a while.
I got TSP (trisodium phosphate) which is a heavy duty cleaner. I used a high concentration (like 1/2 cup of powder to a gallon of water) and used a green scrubber (like the ones on the back of the yellow sponges) and scrubbed the cabinets. TSP takes off some of the finish and the sheen from the cabinets. Then the next morning, Tuesday, I started the staining. I used "Polyshades," a polyurethene and stain in one, in an Antique Walnut Satin finish. I used a foam brush (genius idea from Jeri) so that there were no brush marks. I did 3 coats to get the desired darkness and voila! A finished bathroom. We are going to eventually do knobs and handles but after yesterday's fiasco (see post about downstairs bathroom), we might need to wait a while.
For more pictures of this bathroom, see this post.
The tile is also new in this bathroom. It used to have carpet (yuck!)






1 comment:
Hey, I for one am LOVING all the home improvement posts!! Keep 'em coming!!!
Post a Comment