Monday, September 22, 2008

Top 10 reasons moving sucks

We are getting ready to move out of our apartment and into a house. We are renting a nice 3 bedroom home from a couple in our ward who are leaving to serve a mission in Ireland. We are so excited to move into a house and have a backyard. Phil is already making plans to camp in the backyard. So we are excited, but with every move there are challenges. Here's why moving sucks (in no particular order):

10. Packing. I hate having to pack up our stuff and decide, "do I pack this now, will I use this in the next week?" I want to have stuff done, but I know I'm going to end up just packing everything up in a day or two.

9. Cleaning. I hate move out cleans. They are so strict on everything and of course I NEVER want to be charged for anything, so I have to be obsessive about the cleaning. Of course, it is ALWAYS cleaner than when we got it. Oh well.

8. Service charges. Whenever you move you always have to pay to get everything re-hooked up or re-installed. All the hidden fees. Hate it.

7. The hassle of cancelling, switching, and/or moving services. Talking to people that should know what they are talking about, but don't.

6. Changing our address with the post office. I always wonder if we are going to get all our mail or if we are going to have things lost.

5. Paying for carpet cleaners.

4. Unpacking and organizing. OK, organizing I love, but not while taking care of two kids. Hey Mom and Dad Walker, do you want Kaylin and Zachary for the weekend?

3. Having things that you need and finding out that they are already packed.

2. The Mess. Enough said.

1. Saying goodbye to the good things you liked about your old place. The pool, the fitness center (which I never use), a next door neighbor that has babysat our kids while we go on dates, fresh baked cookies in the clubhouse (they are supposed to be for future residents, but I steal them) and our nice big rooms.

4 comments:

The Reno Donnelly's said...

Another good thing, houses are so much fun. No one under you, no one over you, and no one right next door. Hey do you want to come for dinner this week? Tues. or Thurs. are good for me how about your guys? You can call if you want I just felt like leaving a comment on your blog. Jeri

Rebecca said...

Surely it will all see worth it once you have moved into a home!!

Michelle and Andrew said...

becca, becca, i am the master of moving by now. and the more you move, the more stuff you have to move since we continually accumulate JUNK. my words of advice...NEVER unpack, if you keep most of the stuff in boxes you won't have to pack as much on the next go-around! and then you can open it years later and it will feel like christmas morning.

Janessa Taylor said...

LOL yeah, that's Michelle's philosophy...never unpack--that's awesome. For a few months, (ok maybe like a few weeks...) I had packed up half of our apartment before we moved and Jordan was like "honey, you are obsessed" but I wanted to get as much done as possible! (that was before, when I had energy...before I had the parasite...:)