Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The legacy left by my grandpa


This last week we had the opportunity to travel up to Salt Lake City to attend my grandfather's funeral. He was 84 years old when he died on Monday. I have many memories of my grandpa, some good and some bad. He was an amazing man who fought in World War II and had many life changing experiences there. I really wonder how much that affects someone who has seen so much carnage and destruction. On the day my grandfather was born, the mine where my great-grandfather, Gilbert Gollaher, worked in blew up. Everyone working that day died, except for my great-grandpa. He was in a tent helping my great-grandma Annie, deliver her fourth child--13 lb Max Gollaher. It was said at the funeral that not many can say they saved their father's life on the day they were born, but my grandpa could.

After the war, he went to school and earned a bachelor's degree and later 2 masters degrees. He was the only one in his family to earn an advanced degree. When he married my grandma, they were the first in their family to get married in the temple. On the day of their wedding, they were sealed and my grandpa's parents, because of his example, were sealed as well. Grandpa was then sealed to his parents and deceased siblings.

Throughout his life, he touched those around him, especially when he served as principal of a high school in Utah. He loved to hug everyone and had an amazing smile. He loved to call me "Schmokams" or "Rebby." He could be best friends with someone in a second and talk your ear off. I remember one time when he had cornered Phil, my brother-in-law Jay "saved" him and got his ear talked off for the next hour. That was just grandpa. He told stories of the war and would tear up. He was very patriotic and loved to hunt, go to the rodeo, and eat my grandma's cooking. Although not expressed often, he had a testimony of his Maker and knew where he came from and knew where he was going.

Thank you grandpa for the legacy that you left and for giving me my wonderful father. For that I will be eternally grateful.

4 comments:

Janessa Taylor said...

Aww, Bec! Those are some things I was going to say!! I'll have to steal them--for posterity :)

Iverson Family said...

Happy Birthday yesterday! I remembered all day, sorry I am bad with phone calls. Hope the trip went well and that you enjoyed your bday!

Heather 'n Jay said...

I'm just going to send people to your blog to get the full story. Thank you for your memories. I share them too. So fun to be with you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa! Getting together with family is always nice though.