Feijoada (Brazilian Black Bean stew)2 lbs. dried black beans
2 large onions, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced (I usually put about 4 spoonfuls of minced garlic-I like garlic)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (or just put in a couple of Tbsp of the dried kind)
4 bay leaves
2-3 beef boullion cubes (optional)
Salt to taste, pepper to taste
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 package of bacon, chopped and fried up
1 or 2 polish kielbasa, chopped
2-4 pieces of pork loin chops or 1 big pork loin roast, chopped up in 1 inch squares
1/4 lbs breakfast sausage (optional)
1/2 chorizo sausage (optional)
Soak the beans overnight after rinsing and sorting (to get the little rocks out). The next morning, drain the beans and fill the pot again with water until it just covers the beans. Cook until the beans are soft, usually about 2-3 hours (just follow the directions on the back of the beans on how to cook them! Oh and don't add salt until after they are cooked because it could cause the beans to not cook as well). Meanwhile, cook up the bacon and set aside. Saute the onions, garlic, 1/2 c. oil, green onions, parsley and bay leaves. When this is all cooked up and soft, add the meats and cook them. Then add in the bacon. When all of this is cooked, add to the cooked beans. Then add in the beef boullion cubes (this is my little addition to the recipes. I think that it adds some flavor) Simmer on low for a few hours to let all the flavors get to know one another. Then serve over rice and enjoy the yumminess. Oh and I almost forgot, sprinkle the cilantro in towards the end or just before serving. This freezes really well, because it makes a huge pot.






4 comments:
Thanks for the recipe. I am going to make this for my fam!!!
But No Sharky, eh? (I don't know how to spell in portuguese anymore.) And how about the sawdust we used to eat on top of it?
I loved all of your posts. My over-protective husband put my blog into private mode...I am soooo mad! Now no one will check it. Anyway, your kids look so good. I LOVED your shirt that said will Flirt for Gifts! That was hilarious.
MIchelle, I want an invite to your blog!! I want to see!!
Bekinha, I don't use all these ingredients, maybe I should try, sounds yummie and I want some AGORA! :)
Thanks for posting this. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
Post a Comment